Lisa's granfather had previously cut a hole in both sides of the wall, which allowed the bees' access to the hollow cavity. I felt it wasn't worthwhile to demolish the stucco wall to get to this swarm which had just moved in and had no comb or stores. So, I enlarged one of the openings to get a better glimpse of them:I removed a brick and made some small holes at the top of the wall for better access. Here's Nick checking out the girls:We used the bee-vac to remove the bees from the wall cavity. Here's Nick in action:
Nick is an avid gardener and must be used to having lots of honeybees around. He's very natural with them, so I stood back and talked him through the steps to install the bees into his hive. I had him give the bucket bee-vac one good whack on the ground before removing the inner lid and dumping them into his hive.
Nick has a gentle soul and a pleasure to work with. He and I will be cutting a hive out of a chest of drawers this Friday - please stay tuned for the story of our next adventure!